I started waiting tables again, but it’s nothing like my old serving job. It’s night and day, literally. I used to work from 5pm to 2am and now I work from 8am to 4pm. The new arrangement works out much better for me. There are other things I like about this job in comparison to my other one as well.
- It’s not corporate, so there aren’t all these ridiculous rules about behavior we have to abide by. Don’t get me wrong, I believe that basic hygiene should be honored, but I don’t think I should have to answer the phone with a very specific greeting.
- I like that I can walk around with the phone on my ear while I’m ringing in tables orders and refilling coffee. I’m not on a personal call of course, but I don’t have to stop doing whatever it is I’m doing just because the restaurant received a call.
- No bar service! We have wine and beer, but it’s a breakfast joint so we don’t see a lot of it. Naturally I doubt I will ever have to cut someone off there. At my old job I cut off eight people after the Basilica Block Party one year. Fucking Catholics…
- I am done at 4pm at the latest. I may have mentioned this before, but man it’s nice to see daylight after a closing shift.
- It’s only 50 feet from the farthest point in the restaurant to the expo line. I used to walk miles a night in the gargantuan restaurant before.
- People seem to be much happier about going out for breakfast than they do for dinner. Maybe it’s the lowered expectations or maybe less has happened in their day to make them pissy.
- Nobody checks out your sidework. People actually trust you to do your work there. How sweet is that?
Of course I could probably come up with a list of things I don’t like about the place too, but what fun would that be?