A tree hugger’s ode

by Rebecca A. Watson on March 18, 2010

in California, magic, Minneapolis, travel, trees

I’m not sure when, but somewhere along the line I started realizing that trees were talking to me. I believe in the magic of trees. They’re graceful, patient, resilient, and wise. No matter where I go, they never fail to humble me…

Here I am in the forests in northern Washington, where I think I first learned that cigarette butts were actually garbage. (Still working on bring *that* karma bank account back to zero!)

Trondheim’s trees were so wild they wanted to give me a hug. And they were in a cemetery.

Oh Minneapolis. The tree canopies over busy Lyndale Avenue in the fall will never fail to make me smile.

It’s all green and mossy–how fitting for a tree in Ireland! It’s as if it’s wearing a tree fleece.

This one told me a few secrets. I’m headed back to Big Sur for a second installment one of these days.

To all the trees in the world: You know I love you, but I just wanted to give you a little shout out. You make every day! (And you make tons of oxygen…gracias!)

Welsh Tramp March 18, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Have you been to Mir woods yet? there is some amazing trees there and i'm sure they would love to see you :)

I can totally identify, i used to risk arrest to stop trees being cut down, i once put my head between tree and chainsaw once, when i was finally arrested some 12 hours later i watched them cut the tree down, ill admit i was heartbroken. in the weeks i had spent living in the tree i had come to see it as a friend, i only wish i had been able to save it and many more..

MeAgain March 19, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I thought I was the only tree hugger left in Northern America. I don't mean environmentalist, I mean literal tree hugger.

Nice to know I'm not alone :)

Ms. Becca March 19, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Welsh Tramp: That is a seriously insane story. No wonder you broke the law with me along the shores of the Mississippi :)

MeAgain: Oh yes! I love to hug trees! They deserve so much love. I've been known to put the moves on trees after a few margaritas ;)

MeAgain March 19, 2010 at 4:39 pm

you and I so need to hand out. There are a few palm trees here that so need hugging. I imagine them with Jamaican accents and dreds.

Ms. Becca March 19, 2010 at 5:14 pm

I love it! Palm trees with Jamaican accents! You should have heard the trees in Ireland…they have the best accents :) I would love to hang out…I think we would have a blast; we'd probably scare a few people too. Haha!

MeAgain March 21, 2010 at 8:20 pm

scaring people sounds like fun. Though my family don't sacare easy.

A tree with a Irish lilt would remind me of me Da. I'd so have to hug it.